Initial conditions extrapolation

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

cflanary

Initial conditions extrapolation

#1 Unread post by cflanary »

I'm using 3D data from RTOFS for my initial conditions file for my 1km nearshore Florida ROMS grid. Some of my ROMS grid is land masked. Zeta is set to 0 over the land mask as are 2D momentums. My confusion is on the 3D tracers and momentums. I have more resolution in the nearshore than is supplied by the RTOFS grid so I have to extrapolate horizontal and vertical in the nearshore.

How should I set my tracer and momentums into the nearshore and over the landmark?

I'm also running a sensitivity analysis and I want to run a simulation with wind forcing set to 0. Is there a way to use ANA_WIND with Uwind and Vwind set to 0 while keeping my heat fluxes in my forcing file or do I need to make a new forcing file with my Uwind/Vwind set to 0?

Thank you,
Chris

kate

Re: Initial conditions extrapolation

#2 Unread post by kate »

When building tools for this sort of extrapolation near land, you always want to extrapolate horizontally before interpolating in the vertical. You want a sensible value for every ocean point in ROMS.

As for land points, it doesn't matter. Zero is a good value.

Yes, setting ANA_WIND will only turn off the reading of the winds from forcing files. You shouldn't have to make a second forcing file. Of course, it would be prudent to make sure it is doing what you think it should be doing by checking all the GET_2DFLD sorts of reports in the ROMS output. Also, you can asking it to write out surface stress and you can check that too.