SWAN input - offline coupling

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

jsouza

SWAN input - offline coupling

#1 Unread post by jsouza »

Dear colleagues;
I want to use SWAN results as an input to a near shore, high resolution, ROMS simulation. I understand that it is possible to generate an input file to do so, but could not find any examples or a description of the format needed (eg. a cdl file). Is there any script to convert the SWAN outputs into ROMS inputs? Also, I am still confused about what cpp flags should I use.
Any thoughts on that would be apreciated.

Thnak you

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

Re: SWAN input - offline coupling

#2 Unread post by jivica »

Well that is one of the "many time commented/discussed topic" so I really do not get it why not to look what other people wrote; strongly would suggest to search at the forum posts first.
With really small effort, if you look at the roms source folder then you will find src/User/Functionals/ana_wwave.h showing what vars you need (for simple case look at the MY_APPLICATION); there is
src/Data/ROMS/Forcing/swan_shoreface_angle_forc.nc
as well showing netCDF file, not to mention roms/src/Waves/ folder.
However, original branch of Rutgers ROMS is not at the stage that is incorporating the latest findings, formulations of the wave-current dynamics and I would strongly suggest to contact John Warner to use COWAST version.

Cheers,
I.

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

Re: SWAN input - offline coupling

#3 Unread post by jivica »

just hit search for SWAN in the forum and got :!: +371 posts :!: related to it