temperature equal to 0!?!?

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

antoinemarie

temperature equal to 0!?!?

#1 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Hi roms users,

I have a problem with my application. I try to model a closed basin to observ the mixture due to the wind. I fix my temperature equal to 15 degrees everywhere, but temperature equal 0 degrees appears near the mask when the time increase. :?

Someone did already have this problem?

Thanks in advance for a short reply.

Antoine

antoinemarie

Re: temperature equal to 0!?!?

#2 Unread post by antoinemarie »

I have new result. I have tried to model my basins without anything else, ie without source, wind, flux, ...
and I have temperature abnormally high in some place, and in the same place, I have speed abnormally high too.
I think it comes from my grid file.
What is the better minimum depth for a grid? I put Hmin=0.01m when I define my grid with seagrid, is it too low?

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

I don't think a depth of 0.01 m is inherently too shallow. However, there are limits to the change in depth from one grid to the next. You could be running into that because the limit is more of an issue in shallow water. What do you get for the rx0 and rx1 in the ROMS output?

antoinemarie

#4 Unread post by antoinemarie »

OK, thank you fro your reply Kate.

I have approximately rx0=0.9 and rx1=14.
Wich values should I have?
Should I change my bathymetry, or are there parameters in roms to smooth it?

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

My rx1 is bigger, but your rx0 is definitely in the scary range. You want to get that down to less than 0.5. I usually aim for 0.4.

You should change the bathymetry since ROMS doesn't have the internal tools to do that. rx0 is |h1-h2|/(h1+h2) where h1 and h2 are adjacent depths. If hmin is 0.01 m, then the neighboring points should be no deeper than 0.023 m.

antoinemarie

#6 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Thanks Kate, I have rx0=3.3, and it works!! :D