Momentum source

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

antoinemarie

Momentum source

#1 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Hi Roms users!

I want to know if it is possible to generate momentum in a particular point of my mesh without having a source, that is to say without adding mass. Because with UV_PSOURCE, I add for instance 1m3/s, whereas I want to conserve my initial volume of my basin.

Thanks in advance for a short reply. :)

Antoine

kate

Re: Momentum source

#2 Unread post by kate »

If you have a UV_PSOURCE with water on both sides, you could push water from one cell to the next. Isn't that what you want?

antoinemarie

#3 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Yes, I want to create momentum but without adding water, and when I run my application the net volume is not constant, whereas my basin is closed.

tony1230

#4 Unread post by tony1230 »

Hi kate
Its a feasible way that you said,but in my mind it suitable in the situation with incoming flow on one side and outgoing flow on the other side.Like the ECS Black-Tide or the Gulf-Stream.I dont know how to keep the net volume of a modeling domain and at the same time apply the incoming and outgoing source points on a closed basin or domain.Im doubt.

antoinemarie

#5 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Thanks Kate,

Finally, it works. The problem did'nt come from the UV_PSOURCE, but I think it came from my grid which had problems with its mask. And Tony, I can generate momentum by keeping en constant net volume with UV_PSOURCE.