ANA_WINDS

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

isabelmonteiro

ANA_WINDS

#1 Unread post by isabelmonteiro »

I'm running ROMS in a upwelling configuration, to make some tests I've tried to run an analytical wind with the option # define ANA_WIND #define BULK_FLUXES
in my "upwelling.h" file but I keep getting a message that ROMS wants a FRC_FILE
(in "upwelling.h" I also set #undef FRC_FILE)

Isabel

wilkin

Re: ANA_WINDS

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

To use bulk fluxes ROMS needs winds, but also air temperature, humidity and pressure, and longwave and shortwave radiation. It's an all or nothing option - you can't just have bulk fluxes for the stresses and not the heat flux as well. So you'll need the options below and may have to customize the default ana_tair.h etc. to get sensible values for your application. (Copy ana_tair.h to your project directory and make the changes to your private version).

#ifdef BULK_FLUXES
# define ANA_WINDS
# define ANA_SRFLUX
# define ANA_TAIR
# define ANA_HUMIDITY
# define ANA_PAIR
# define LONGWAVE /* use Berliand relation */
#endif

The reason you get the error about forcing files is because ROMS is looking for the missing air temperature, pressure etc in the forcing file and you haven't given a filename. When ROMS finds everything it needs from analytical values it won't try to look in any netcdf forcing file.

I always check Build/analytical.f90 to make sure I'm getting the analytical options I really want. It's easy to make mistakes with the ANA_ options.

John.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu