Question about north-south periodic boundary conditions

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

isabelmonteiro

Question about north-south periodic boundary conditions

#1 Unread post by isabelmonteiro »

I'm running ROMS for a upwelling east coast,I would like to test north-south periodic and west open boundary conditions, can anyone tell be if I have to make any changes in the north/south boundaries bathymetry or does ROMS does this internally :?:

kate

Re: Question about north-south periodic boundary conditions

#2 Unread post by kate »

You will want to match the bathymetry yourself. Also the grid spacing at the ends. Note that you can't have realistic changes to f alongshore either.

isabelmonteiro

#3 Unread post by isabelmonteiro »

My domain is rather small (only 6 degrees lat) so changes in "f" will not be a problem. Besides matching bathymetry and grid spacing do you no if there is an advisable cell number to do this matching. :?:

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

I don't understand your question. If you mean which j number has to match, j=1 matches j=M, as j=Mm matches j=0.

The easiest thing to do is to use a simple rectangular grid with uniform spacing and a uniform f. We had an idealized periodic domain years ago in which h was a function of i only. The grid was curvilinear, but describing how I got it to match is not for the faint of heart.