using more than one field at INI netcdf input file

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

rsoutelino

using more than one field at INI netcdf input file

#1 Unread post by rsoutelino »

Hello everybody,

I am using ROMS for a regional application and I have a doubt considering "roms_ini.nc x roms_clm.nc". At "clm_ts.cdl", for example, the temp_time and salt_time dimensions are both 12, and that a can understand, because at roms_clm.nc are suposed to be the twelve months 3D tracers fields. But at "ini_hydro.cdl" the dimension TIME is set to UNLIMITED.

What would be the meaning of using more than one time dimension in roms_ini.nc at a ROMS run? Isn't the initial field suposed to be unique? What am I missing?

Thank you!!

kate

Re: using more than one field at INI netcdf input file

#2 Unread post by kate »

The idea is that you can use say, record 20 of a history file as your initial condition. You need to allow the possibility of the time dimension being unlimited.

rsoutelino

#3 Unread post by rsoutelino »

Ok Kate, thanks for your awnser!!

I was confused because I have a script in matlab to make those roms_ini.nc files, and according to the script I was suposed to record the T and S fields as 4D variables... with 12 "times". I was pretty sure that ROMS was using the first time record of the 4D field as my initial conditions, but I was not so sure about what ROMS was doing to the rest of them. Now I understand that ROMS is using only one (first) and ignoring the rest, is that correct in this case?

again, thank you very much,

Rafael

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

If there are 12 times, you can tell it which record to read with the NRREC parameter in the input file. Setting NRREC = -1 means read all the times and use the last one. Setting NRREC = 1 means use the first one. Setting NRREC = 0 means this is the start of a run, but you'd have to check the logs for GET_STATE to see which time it read.

rsoutelino

#5 Unread post by rsoutelino »

Ok, perfect, thanks a lot Kate!